Published: September 2021
The polyamide market is one of the more profitable and dynamic thermoplastic markets in Europe. It is characterised by a large number of players, a strong and highly focussed end use processing sector and a changing supply structure. Demand growth for PA, however, has been slowing down, which posed major questions for the industry relating to market drivers, application dynamics and competitive strategies. To assist companies in this area, AMI Consulting, in close cooperation with AWJ Plastics Consulting, has published a report in September 2021 on the European market for polyamide.
The study was a bottom-up analysis of the market, gathering consumption details of major users. The interview programme included three-dimensional analysis, questioning demand drivers within specific process and application areas. The study provides a multi-polymer perspective, by segment and application, and discusses the potential for PA to displace alternative polymers and metals. Alongside this analysis are forecasts for PA demand to 2024 and a discussion of the key issues, including the impact of recyclates demand on virgin.
PA’s proven versatility in its modification with reinforcements, elastomers and additives, as well as its recyclability means that it is used in a vast range of applications, although its value varies greatly depending on grade, use and user. PA producers therefore require a well-structured analysis of the market to feel confident that they have understood current and future market demand to maintain satisfactory market progress.
- What is the size of the market by country, by PA polymer and compound type, and by application?
- How to navigate through complex value and supply chain?
- Which types of PA are set to enjoy the strongest growth and why, and conversely which applications are likely to decline and why?
- What impact will new processing and manufacturing technologies have?
- What structural change is underway within the major segments?
- What is the context for sustainability driven developments for PA value chain and who are leading recyclers?